Growing up, David Taylor was surrounded by art and literature. As he matured, he developed the desire to explore the connection between art and God’s Word. Now, as he serves as an assistant professor of theology and culture at Fuller University, his pursuit for truth has gone even deeper. Intrigued by the book of Psalms, David wondered what life would be like if we only lived based on what we read in the book of Psalms. His studies led him to write an entire book on what he had discovered.
His conclusion is that the Psalms are gifts from God to help us remain open and unafraid, and that being open and vulnerable before God leads us to holiness. We do ourselves a disservice when we choose to harden parts of ourselves so that we don’t as fully experience fear, loss, or pain. It’s okay to express emotions; God can handle our anger, and He is aware when we are upset. He wants us to cling to Him in these moments, so that He can show us that He is already holding us.
As he guides us through the book of Psalms in this episode, David Taylor offers us a clear picture of what it’s like to encounter God in a new way. If your desire is to allow the Holy Spirit to lead you, or to take a deeper look into the life of David, then this episode is for you.
Highlights from Today’s Episode:
- Living open and unafraid
- Encountering God through the Psalms
- Learning to trust the Holy Spirit
Resources from today’s show
- Purchase copy of David’s book, Open and Unafraid: The Psalms as a Guide to Life
- Connect with David on Instagram, Twitter, or on his website
- Purchase my book, The 28-Day Prayer Journey. There is one bonus still available!
- Inner Circle opens 10/1! – chrystalevanshurst.com/innercircle
Click to Tweet
- “The Psalms serve as an emotional and spiritual source of replenishment.” – Chrystal Hurst
- “The Psalms are a gift from God to help us remain open and unafraid.” – David Taylor
Other Stuff to Check Out
Did you catch my last episode on Walking in Freedom with Megan Fate Marshman? Listen here.
Check out my new book! The 28-Day Prayer Journey
Need to encourage your soul? Try listening to the playlist I put together for my mom, Lady Lois’ Worship
Interested in supporting the content I create and enjoying bonus content? Learn about joining my Inner Circle!
- How might you practically, tangibly begin to open up to God and live a life unafraid?
- What steps can you take to know God more deeply?
- Take some time to read a chapter (or two or three) from the book of Psalms, what do you discover about yourself?
Connect with me…
How to Listen to The Podcast
If you’re new to podcasts, think of them like little radio shows that you can listen to at your convenience. They are perfect to listen to and learn from as you workout, fold laundry, wash dishes or conquer the world.
1. Listen right here on the blog. Click the little play button at the beginning of this post.
2. Listen on iTunes or Stitcher or Google Play! – Be sure and subscribe so you don’t miss an episode! Also, if you would be so kind as to leave a rating on iTunes and/or write a 2-3 sentence review there or on Stitcher? Your commentary or rating helps make the podcast more “findable” by others who might not know it exists!
3. Share today’s show – Email the link to a friend or share on social media. Just click on the sharing buttons at the bottom of this post!
You have been so great to join me on the journey here on the blog, I hope you jump right in and do the same on the podcast!