Today I am talking with author and speaker, Sheila Walsh, who knows this struggle herself. After finding herself at a breaking point, despite speaking with confidants and standing firm in her belief, she entered a mental health hospital where she faced the question, “Who are you?”
As Sheila discusses, although she was able to leave the mental health hospital through recovery and medication, the ability to answer that question took quite a while to understand. When asked ‘who are you now,’ she will tell you, “I am Sheila Walsh, daughter of the one true King. Her mental health journey taught her to embrace her brokenness as a gift to encourage others and let Christ’s light shine. Sheila encourages others to walk a similar path by creating and being accountable to a community of friends with which you can confide and be transparent with Christ as you come before Him in prayer, even when you don’t feel like it.
Fear and anger are an immediate reaction to pain, namely depression and anxiety, in our lives; however, it can be a conduit for God’s glory. When we embrace all of our imperfections and come before the Lord with open hearts, we understand He simply wants us, not perfection. He made us and wants us to meet with Him in a bond close enough to place our arms in the air and ask to be held, as a young child would reach for his mother.
The hurt you carry, the knowledge that reaching out to a friend hasn’t been enough, the shame you fear for seeing a therapist or needing to discuss depression or anxiety with a doctor is not the life intended for you. You are a child of the one true King. He wants to meet you in your pain and walk with you as you receive the help that a therapist or doctor can provide. Are you willing to reach out for help? Are you ready to come before Christ and let Him shine through your scars? You can start right where you are. Join Sheila and I as we openly share how Christ can mend our brokenness, creating beauty.
Highlights from Today’s Episode:
- Understanding Biblical Perspective on Mental Health
- Finding Community for Your Fight
- Praying with a Sincere Heart
- Using Prayer as a Weapon
- Beginning Where You Are
Resources from today’s show
- Connect with Sheila Walsh on Instagram, Facebook, Twitter or on her website.
- Purchase a copy of Sheila’s book, Praying Women: How to Pray When You Don’t Know How to Pray
- Learn more about Sheila’s friend, music artist, Darlene Zschech, at www.darlenezschech.com
- Listen to my conversation on prayer with my dad, Dr. Tony Evans or my conversation with Susie Larson on Powerful Prayers.
- Check out Kasey Van Norman’s session on Depression and Anxiety
- View other sessions available of The Online Sister Circle Event
- Check out Sara Hagerty’s session on Refreshing Your Prayer Life
Click to Tweet
- I believe, where your scars are, there is your authority. -Sheila Walsh
- When we offer our weakness and brokenness to God, somehow, in a way that only He can do, it becomes a place where He shines His light to others. -Sheila Walsh
- Our brokenness is a far greater bridge to other people than artificial wholeness ever will ever be. -Sheila Walsh
- Better to have a heart with no words, than words with no heart. -John Bunyan
- God is not looking for perfection; he is looking for our presence. – Sheila Walsh
Other Stuff to Check Out
- Did you catch my last episode with Art Markman? Listen here.
- Download my summer activities idea guide
- Check out my new book! The 28-Day Prayer Journey
- Need to encourage your soul? Try listening to the playlist I put together for my mom, Lady Lois’ Worship
- Interested in supporting the content I create and enjoying bonus content? Learn about joining my Inner Circle!
- My book, Be sure and also check out my other books She’s Still There, Show Up For Your Life, Kingdom Woman!
After you’ve listened to the podcast, I’d love to continue the conversation. Be sure and leave a comment!
- How are you currently connecting with community? What can you do to find or cultivate a community in your area?
- As you pray, how can you shift your words to be more transparent before God?
- What will it take for you to come to God, right where you are?
- Challenge yourself today. When your heart feels lacking, will you sit in the quiet with God and allow yourself to hear, “She came!”?
Connect with me…
How to Listen to The Podcast
If you’re new to podcasts, think of them like little radio shows that you can listen to at your convenience. They are perfect to listen to and learn from as you workout, fold laundry, wash dishes or conquer the world.
1. Listen right here on the blog. Click the little play button at the beginning of this post.
2. Listen on iTunes or Stitcher or Google Play! – Be sure and subscribe so you don’t miss an episode! Also, if you would be so kind as to leave a rating on iTunes and/or write a 2-3 sentence review there or on Stitcher? Your commentary or rating helps make the podcast more “findable” by others who might not know it exists!
3. Share today’s show – Email the link to a friend or share on social media. Just click on the sharing buttons at the bottom of this post!
You have been so great to join me on the journey here on the blog, I hope you jump right in and do the same on the podcast!