Today, I have to go to work.
Today, I have to cook dinner.
Today, I have to pay bills.
Today, I have to remember a birthday.
Today, I have to run errands.
Today, I have to spend time with the people I love.
Today, I need to S-L-E-E-P!
Sometimes I could use a little help from someone who has a wise perspective on life to help me know how to live with focus and intention while getting the important things done. Honestly, I need wise counsel from someone a little further along than I, to help me hear more clearly and recognize with more certainty how God is leading me. While I can hear from God myself, a little mentoring and spiritual wisdom and direction doesn’t hurt.
My friend, today I’m gifting my conversation with Denise Foxx to you. She might just be the perceptive, insightful mentor you’ve wished you had. Denise has lived enough of her own life to see what is seen and to perceive what is not. She knows the right questions to ask and what answers not to give so that you can discover them for yourself.
Do you need to more deeply understand the gift of saying no? What about how to connect with your authentic self? Maybe it would help you to comprehend the beauty of the rhythm of worship, work, and rest so that you can balance the wonder of being productive while at the same time having room to breathe.
Denise teaches, through her own life, examples of how you can slow down and pay attention to your life in a culture that is constantly telling us to speed up. She also offers rich wisdom in how to look for and find joy even as you seek to understand the wounds that are still in need of healing.
Let’s face it, my friend. We are all in constant need of soul care through life’s ups and downs. Denise Foxx, as a minister, trained life coach, and a certified spiritual director, not only leads us through the process of caring for ourselves but does so from a lifetime of learning to practice the strategies she teaches.
And what’s a spiritual director, you might ask? Well, we talk about that too.
If you need to learn how to slow down, get better acquainted with your wants and needs, and be intentional about living, this episode will help you learn to tend to your soul, enjoy your life, connect with God, and live at a sustainable pace that can get you exactly where you want to go and where God intends for you to be, too.
Highlights from Today’s Episode:
- Paying attention to you
- Healing your rejection wound
- Opting for a “Year of No”
- Slowing down and being present
- Discovering what brings you joy
- Learning the rhythms of worship, work, and rest
Click to Tweet
- “Never be in a hurry. Always take the long view, build slowly, and relax. The work is God’s, not ours” – Richard Foster
- “Live simply, love deeply.” – Denise Foxx
- “Take the time to slow yourself, to know who you are, and to enjoy being you. – Denise Foxx
Resources From Today’s Show
- Connect with Denise Foxx on Twitter or Facebook.
- Need to take a look at your life and want my help? Download this PDF I’ve created for you.
- Learn more about Spiritual Director International and take a look at Renovare (spiritual formation)
- Consider visiting The Transforming Center or read more about The Soul of Shame
- Purchase a set of One Life Maps and a copy Disciplines of a Beautiful Woman by Anne Ortlund
Other Stuff to Check Out
- Watch the replay of my live session on homeschooling.
- Haven’t watched the She’s Still There devotionals? Click here for Part 1 of 6.
- Grab my latest books She’s Still There, Show Up For Your Life, 28 Days of Prayer, or Kingdom Woman!
- If you missed Episode 230 with Chris and Emily Norton, Click here to listen!
- Get a chance to read my post about My Summer Hair Situation?
- Interested in supporting the content I create? Learn about becoming a co-producer!
- Want to subscribe to the blog and grab a freebie? CLICK HERE
After you’ve listened to the podcast, I’d love to continue the conversation. Be sure and leave a comment!
- Who do you go to when you need to get something “heavy” off your chest?
- How is a spiritual director different from going to a counselor? Do you have an informal spiritual director in your life — someone who can help you see what God is doing in your life?
- Why do you think people rush through their lives? Is it because they don’t want to stop to deal with the pain of their experiences? Are you rushing through your life?
- Are you choosing to be present? Why or why not? What can you do to be more present in your life today? How can you slow down or even stop to smell the roses?
Connect with me…
How to Listen to The Podcast
If you’re new to podcasts, think of them like little radio shows that you can listen to at your convenience. They are perfect to listen to and learn from as you workout, fold laundry, wash dishes or conquer the world.
1. Listen right here on the blog. Click the little play button at the beginning of this post.
2. Listen on iTunes or Stitcher or Google Play! – Be sure and subscribe so you don’t miss an episode! Also, if you would be so kind as to leave a rating on iTunes and/or write a 2-3 sentence review there or on Stitcher? Your commentary or rating helps make the podcast more “findable” by others who might not know it exists!
3. Share today’s show – Email the link to a friend or share on social media. Just click on the sharing buttons at the bottom of this post!
You have been so great to join me on the journey here on the blog, I hope you jump right in and do the same on the podcast!