Does your life feel like a giant plate of spaghetti, where your work, home, kids, and hobbies have all been mixed into one plate together? Are you trying to savor both the responsibilities and joys of life but feel overwhelmed by what’s expected of you? Are you putting pressure on yourself to carry the same load now that you did a few years ago, even though your season has changed?
During my conversation with Megan Hyatt Miller, we talk about balance and succeeding at both work and life. Megan knows the pressure you’re facing–she’s a wife, mother, CEO, writer, speaker, podcaster…the list goes on! A few years ago, Megan and her husband knew that she needed to spend more time at home with their children, so she came up with a plan to work 6-hour days. What started as a personal, temporary shift ten years ago, ended up becoming a preferred routine that she still follows now. This shift even became a company-wide pivot during the 2020 pandemic. It all started with creating a boundary.
Megan shares how, when you put constraints in place, you make better decisions. Your creativity, innovation, and sense of freedom can be multiplied. The secret to balance is knowing what’s most important. Megan also emphasizes the importance of knowing your season and changing your mindset when needed.
The nuggets from my conversation with Megan will help you to more easily ask the right questions, give yourself permission to be creative, and identify what your non-negotiables are.
Want to maximize your life? Think first about how you can maximize your right now! What will matter most to you at the end of today and at the end of your current season? Start there. Once you’ve identified those big rocks, delegate and negotiate. Ask yourself what can be eliminated from your day or how you can save time on the things you can’t take off your plate. Talk to your family about what you need and how you can ask for help. Examine what demands are external and internal, and start a conversation around how to best fit those demands into a life you will love. Then, stay focused on where you’re going and create routines that help you thrive.
It sounds simple, but the truth is we all need encouragement to do this well. This is exactly what this podcast with Megan will do for you.
There is time for you to do the things that matter most to you. And don’t miss this — it’s what matters most to you. Don’t compare your life or what works best for your family to the woman living next to you. Determine your values, embrace them with integrity, and let your actions and boundaries be a reflection of what is important to you.
Highlights from Today’s Episode:
- Set boundaries around home and work
- Cultivate a life-giving work culture
- Find freedom within healthy constraints
Resources from today’s show
- Connect with Megan on Instagram, Twitter, or Facebook.
- Pick up a copy of the book Megan and her dad, Michael, wrote together: Win at Work and Succeed at Life.
- Discover the Full Focus Planner on their website or on Instagram.
- Listen to Megan and Michael’s podcast, Lead to Win.
- Check out Michael Hyatt and Co’s website.
- Read the books Megan recommends: Shorter: Work Better, Smarter, and Less–Here’s How by Alex Pang; The Vision Driven Leader by Michael Hyatt.
Click to Tweet
- “I cannot do everything, but it is possible to do the things that matter most.” – Megan Hyatt Miller
- “When you put constraints on your workday, you make better decisions, and your creativity, innovation, and sense of freedom will be multiplied.” – Megan Hyatt Miller
- “Constraints force me to clarify what my priorities are.” – Megan Hyatt Miller
- “Give yourself the freedom to decide what success looks like.” – Megan Hyatt Miller
- “Decide what’s important to you and organize your life accordingly.” – Chrystal Hurst
- “Don’t let the best be the enemy of the good.” – Megan Hyatt Miller
Other Stuff to Check Out
- Need to encourage your soul? Try listening to the playlist I put together for my mom, Lady Lois’ Worship
- Interested in supporting the content I create and enjoying bonus content? Learn about joining my Inner Circle!
- Be sure to also check out my other books She’s Still There, Show Up For Your Life, Kingdom Woman!
- What’s your motivation for over-working?
- What are three values that matter most to you?
- What boundaries do you need to set to live by those three values?
Connect with me…
How to Listen to The Podcast
If you’re new to podcasts, think of them like little radio shows that you can listen to at your convenience. They are perfect to listen to and learn from as you workout, fold laundry, wash dishes or conquer the world.
1. Listen right here on the blog. Click the little play button at the beginning of this post.
2. Listen on iTunes or Stitcher or Google Play! – Be sure and subscribe so you don’t miss an episode! Also, if you would be so kind as to leave a rating on iTunes and/or write a 2-3 sentence review there or on Stitcher? Your commentary or rating helps make the podcast more “findable” by others who might not know it exists!
3. Share today’s show – Email the link to a friend or share on social media. Just click on the sharing buttons at the bottom of this post!
You have been so great to join me on the journey here on the blog, I hope you jump right in and do the same on the podcast!