Do you ever get in your own way? Are you ever shocked at your uncanny ability to destroy your own efforts? If you’ve ever found yourself tripping yourself up or keeping yourself from your own goals, I want to help!
Often the culprit that keeps us stuck and unable to live the life we love is us! We act as our own enemies. The process of obstructing your own opportunities to live well is the problem of self-sabotage and I want to help by sharing some practical solutions to this wide-spread predicament.
Because really!… Who wants to be stuck or undermine their own desires? None of us! But if we tell the truth, some of us need a little help in this area — and when I say some of us I’m including me
Psychology Today says, “Behavior is said to be self-sabotaging when it creates problems in daily life and interferes with long-standing goals.” What behavior is stopping you from getting to where you want to be? I’m talking about this kind of behavior with licensed clinical and forensic neuropsychologist, Dr. Judy Ho. Dr. Judy is the author of Stop Self-Sabotage: Six Steps to Unlock Your True Motivation, Harness Your Willpower and Get Out of Your Own Way.
How do we get out of our own way? First, we have to identify and be honest about what we believe about ourselves. In her book, Dr. Judy says, “Much of your self-esteem doesn’t come from what happens to you on a given day or what somebody says, but what you know about yourself on the inside.” I want to help you get honest about what you believe about you and I am confident this conversation will help you to do that. You are writing the story of your life and your thoughts are the narrator.
Here’s some good news, if you don’t like the story you are telling yourself, you can choose to rewrite it. Now it will take work and it will take time. But if you consistently show up with a growth mindset and give yourself the grace you need to change the way you think and the way you speak to yourself, you can begin to enjoy the life you want to live.
My conversation with Dr. Judy offers plenty of practical tips for paying attention to your thoughts and tackling self-sabotage. Today is a good day to get your thoughts out of your head, examine them and make sure they are moving you toward the life you want to live.
Highlights from Today’s Episode:
- Tackling self-sabotage
- Uncovering the root of your feelings
- Identifying “workable: thoughts
- Developing a growth mindset
- Establishing new routines
Resources from today’s show
- Connect with Dr. Judy Ho on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram or on her website
- Purchase a copy of Judy’s book, Stop Self-Sabotage: Six Steps to Unlock Your True Motivation, Harness Your Willpower and Get Out of Your Own Way.
- Take Dr. Judy’s 40-Day Mental Wellness Challenge.
Click to Tweet
- Make sure your thoughts are moving you towards the life you want to lead. – Dr. Judy Ho
- Sometimes failure will lead you to the next successful step. – Dr. Judy Ho
- Emotional discomfort can be the thing that moves you forward. – Dr. Judy Ho
- If you are willing to do the work, at some point, you are going to see results. – Dr. Judy Ho
- It’s okay to take your time and work through the process of change slowly. – Chrystal Hurst
Other Stuff to Check Out
- Did you catch my last episode with Kristy Clover? Listen here.
- Need to encourage your soul? Try listening to the playlist I put together for my mom, Lady Lois’ Worship
- Interested in supporting the content I create and enjoying bonus content? Learn about becoming a co-producer!
- My book, Be sure and also check out my other books She’s Still There,
- 28 Days of Prayer, Show Up For Your Life, Kingdom Woman!
- Did you catch the latest video I uploaded to my YouTube channel? I shared a message I gave recently at my church on The Sword (The Word of God). Watch it by clicking HERE.
After you’ve listened to the podcast, I’d love to continue the conversation. Be sure and leave a comment!
- Do you pay attention to your thoughts and feelings? What have they been telling you recently?
- In what area of your life do you easily slip into self-sabotage? What routine would be helpful for you to establish over the next 4-6 weeks?
- In what ways did my conversation with Dr. Judy challenge you? What action do you intend to take?
Connect with me…
How to Listen to The Podcast
If you’re new to podcasts, think of them like little radio shows that you can listen to at your convenience. They are perfect to listen to and learn from as you workout, fold laundry, wash dishes or conquer the world.
1. Listen right here on the blog. Click the little play button at the beginning of this post.
2. Listen on iTunes or Stitcher or Google Play! – Be sure and subscribe so you don’t miss an episode! Also, if you would be so kind as to leave a rating on iTunes and/or write a 2-3 sentence review there or on Stitcher? Your commentary or rating helps make the podcast more “findable” by others who might not know it exists!
3. Share today’s show – Email the link to a friend or share on social media. Just click on the sharing buttons at the bottom of this post!
You have been so great to join me on the journey here on the blog, I hope you jump right in and do the same on the podcast!