Do you struggle with inviting people into your home? Maybe you’re a person who enjoys hanging out with other people, but you are letting things like an imperfect house, or loads of laundry on the couch keep you from opening your door to friends. I got to chat with my friend, Margaret Feinburg today, and she encouraged me to remember those things, those small hindrances, are actually keeping me from experiencing community in the way God intended.
Margaret is a really fun person, she’s the kind that’s always up for a good adventure. She even ventured all the way to the holy land to immerse herself in the foods of the Bible, and I love that about her. My husband is always up for a food adventure, as well, so I often get to go along for the ride. Today, I’ll tell you a story about a barbeque adventure we took once. But these little adventures are the stuff of life. Life is found in sitting around a table, and breaking bread together. Life is found in taking road trips to famous barbeque joints, and life is found in the community we find when we invite others into our less than perfect homes, and say “You’re welcome here”.
Margaret’s new book, Taste and See, is an invitation to us to discover God among butchers, bakers, and fresh food makers. And as I mentioned, she went all the way to the Holy Land to meet artisanal chefs and pick olives in Croatia in order to bring this book to us. While picking olives, she says her hands were scratched, cut and bleeding but because of the healing design of the olives, “even in the hard work, the healing was already beginning”. Isn’t that a great metaphor for our lives?
I loved my fun, energetic and joy-filled conversation with Margaret and I’m so glad you’re here for it too. I hope you love it.
Highlights from Today’s Episode:
- Practical ways for Choosing Joy
- The Power of Silent Prayer
- Practicing Hospitality
- Balancing Instagram posting
- Being Present in the Moment
Click to Tweet
- “In order to expand your bandwidth for joy, you must learn to grieve and mourn well.”- Margaret Feinberg
- “Even as your doing the work, the healing is setting in”- Margaret Feinberg
- Joy is a weapon. It can poke holes in the darkness until it bleeds light. – Margaret Feinberg
Resources From Today’s Show
- Connect with Margaret on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, or on her website.
- Get a copy of Margaret’s book, Taste and See.
- Listen to Margaret’s podcast, The Joycast
- Need a laugh? Check out GAD on Netflix
- Looking for pasture-raised goodness? Check out this store!
- Interested in learning more about Christian meditation? Consider, Word Into Silence by John Main
- View the Hallmark Christmas weekend schedule! and the full Christmas countdown!
Other Stuff to Check Out
- Have you grabbed this month’s freebie? Click here to grab it!
- Did you know that my dad, Dr. Tony Evans, has a Bible Commentary available? Click here to check it out! If you want to know more about my dad’s ministry and the multitude of resources he has available to help you in your walk with God, go to Tony Evans.org
- If you missed Episode #238 with Amy Carroll, Click here to listen!
- Did you catch the latest video I uploaded to my YouTube channel? I shared a message I gave recently at my church on The Sword (The Word of God). Watch it by clicking HERE.
- My book, Be sure and also check out my other books She’s Still There,
- 28 Days of Prayer, Show Up For Your Life, Kingdom Woman!
- Get a chance to read my post about Cultivating Rhythms with God?
- Interested in supporting the content I create and enjoying special benefits? Learn about becoming a co-producer!
After you’ve listened to the podcast, I’d love to continue the conversation. Be sure and leave a comment!
- What are some practical ways you can choose joy in the middle of your storm?
- What would it require of you to open your home in the name of hospitality?
- What steps can you take today toward incorporating a practice of silent prayer in your life?
- Do you struggle with balancing your real life with your Instagrammable moments? What are some things you could do to be more present in your real life?
Connect with me…
How to Listen to The Podcast
If you’re new to podcasts, think of them like little radio shows that you can listen to at your convenience. They are perfect to listen to and learn from as you workout, fold laundry, wash dishes or conquer the world.
1. Listen right here on the blog. Click the little play button at the beginning of this post.
2. Listen on iTunes or Stitcher or Google Play! – Be sure and subscribe so you don’t miss an episode! Also, if you would be so kind as to leave a rating on iTunes and/or write a 2-3 sentence review there or on Stitcher? Your commentary or rating helps make the podcast more “findable” by others who might not know it exists!
3. Share today’s show – Email the link to a friend or share on social media. Just click on the sharing buttons at the bottom of this post!
You have been so great to join me on the journey here on the blog, I hope you jump right in and do the same on the podcast!