Part of knowing you is knowing when the God who created you is speaking to you. Is God telling you it’s time to leave that job? Has He put a friend on your mind that you haven’t made time to call? Have you done all you’re supposed to do where you are, and now you are wondering what’s next? Over time, if you are intentional in developing your relationship with God, you will become more acquainted with His voice and know when He is speaking to you. You will come to recognize His nudges and be aware when He is pushing you to do something new. You learn to pay attention to yourself. You pay attention to the restlessness you feel, the exhaustion you’re carrying, the nudges He is giving you, and sometimes even words He sends by way of a good friend.
This week I had a great conversation with a good friend. I met Nicole Staples through my late cousin, Wynter Pitts, and as I’ve grown to know her over the years, I’ve learned what it looks like when a girl really does know herself. Not only have I witnessed God’s providential hand in Nicole’s life, but I’ve also seen her assurance as she responds to God’s leading in her life with obedience. Nicole operates with a certain “knowing.” Even when she doesn’t know all the answers, she knows enough to propel her forward towards the plans God has for her.
Following God has meant that Nicole has lived with adventure, moving to new places and learning the value, risk, and skill of building relationships while discovering new things about herself along the way. What have I learned from Nicole? I’ve learned that knowing you is a process; it happens over time. You learn when and how to make changes. You learn to move quickly because there have been times you waited too long. You learn to change slowly because there have been times where you moved too fast! You learn that obeying God is better than going your own way because you’ve tried your way and know that trusting God is better. However you get to know you and the God who lives in you, the important thing is that you learn.
No matter your wiring, age, or circumstances, it’s not too late to do the work of getting to know you. I’ve said this before, and I’ll say it again. “You are worth getting to know.” As you listen to my conversation with Nicole, I hope you are reminded of the beauty of getting to know you. Change can be challenging. Moving forward without answers requires faith. But beautiful things happen when you know you, know the God in you, and choose to obey. Nicole’s life is evidence of it. Enjoy our conversation.
Highlights from Today’s Episode:
- Recognizing God’s nudges
- Coping with loneliness
- Making space to respond
- Identifying safe spaces
Resources from today’s show
Click to Tweet
- Be a good steward of what you’ve been given. – Nicole Staples
- Take the two breadcrumbs God gives you and go with it. – Nicole Staples
Other Stuff to Check Out
Check out my new book! The 28-Day Prayer Journey
Need to encourage your soul? Try listening to the playlist I put together for my mom, Lady Lois’ Worship
Interested in supporting the content I create and enjoying bonus content? Learn about joining my Inner Circle!
- In what ways has God been nudging you? What step do you need to make to respond in obedience?
- On a scale of 1-5, five being the strongest, how would you rate the strength of your community? What is your role in strengthening your community?
- How do you define home? What have you done to make home a place you love?
Connect with me…
How to Listen to The Podcast
If you’re new to podcasts, think of them like little radio shows that you can listen to at your convenience. They are perfect to listen to and learn from as you workout, fold laundry, wash dishes or conquer the world.
1. Listen right here on the blog. Click the little play button at the beginning of this post.
2. Listen on iTunes or Stitcher or Google Play! – Be sure and subscribe so you don’t miss an episode! Also, if you would be so kind as to leave a rating on iTunes and/or write a 2-3 sentence review there or on Stitcher? Your commentary or rating helps make the podcast more “findable” by others who might not know it exists!
3. Share today’s show – Email the link to a friend or share on social media. Just click on the sharing buttons at the bottom of this post!
You have been so great to join me on the journey here on the blog, I hope you jump right in and do the same on the podcast!