My guest, Dawn Barton, knows what it’s like to have to make a conscious decision to choose joy. Dawn has a story that would have caused many to lose all hope and give up on joy. From losing a child to being raped to battling cancer, Dawn could have quickly fallen into a deep depression and never climbed out again. But that’s not what happened. Her story didn’t stop there. Dawn worked hard to climb her way to the #7 top salesperson in Mary Kay. Then, unexpectedly, she felt God calling her to take a step back from the career she had poured so much into to write a book. That choice wasn’t easy. Dawn learned that sometimes the thing you think you would be doing for the rest of your life is only what God intended you to do for a season, to prepare you for the next season.
The word “joy” tends to conjure up images of everything in your life being perfect, and all your plans and dreams being fulfilled. But that’s not where joy is most readily found. It is far more often hardships that lead you to find true, abiding joy. Finding joy will take effort and energy, but when you gear up for it, it never fails to bless you. Dawn’s remarkable story of overcoming pain and loss is an inspiration to us to shift our attention away from our problems and difficulties and redirect them to a loving God who is the essence of joy.
Choosing joy means letting go of things you can’t control. Holding on to those things will only bring misery, sadness, resentment, and anger–and God never intended us to live that way. You must get to a place where you choose joy. You must make a habit of looking past your current circumstances and focusing on the bigger picture. As you listen to today’s episode, I want to encourage you not to wait for things to get clearer, more comfortable, or convenient but to make the decision every day to choose joy so that you can live a life that you love.
Highlights from Today’s Episode:
- Choosing joy in painful circumstances
- Trusting in God’s direction
- Navigating change
- Responding to God’s calling
Resources from today’s show
- Connect with Dawn Barton on Instagram, Facebook, or on her website
- Purchase Dawn’s book Laughing Through The Ugly Cry
- Pre-Order my book, The 28-Day Prayer Journey
- Struggling with Identity? Consider Candice Payne’s session, You Belong.
- Click here to watch the Desperate for Jesus Conference replay.
- On Monday 7/27, I talked about running your race. You can watch the replay here.
Click to Tweet
- “God can move mountains, but don’t be surprised when he throws you a shovel.” – Dawn Barton
- “There is joy in a tsunami of pain; you just have to look for it.” – Dawn Barton
- “Foster the gifts you have inside of you” – Chrystal Evans Hurst
Other Stuff to Check Out
- Did you catch my last episode with Sheila Walsh? Listen here.
- Download my summer activities idea guide
- Check out my new book! The 28-Day Prayer Journey
- Need to encourage your soul? Try listening to the playlist I put together for my mom, Lady Lois’ Worship
- Interested in supporting the content I create and enjoying bonus content? Learn about joining my Inner Circle!
- My book, Be sure and also check out my other books She’s Still There, Show Up For Your Life, Kingdom Woman!
After you’ve listened to the podcast, I’d love to continue the conversation. Be sure and leave a comment!
- Have you ever experienced pain so deep you weren’t convinced joy was possible? If so, how did you overcome that situation?
- What are some ways you choose joy daily?
- What do you do when you don’t feel like choosing joy?
- How can you encourage others to choose joy?
Connect with me…
How to Listen to The Podcast
If you’re new to podcasts, think of them like little radio shows that you can listen to at your convenience. They are perfect to listen to and learn from as you workout, fold laundry, wash dishes or conquer the world.
1. Listen right here on the blog. Click the little play button at the beginning of this post.
2. Listen on iTunes or Stitcher or Google Play! – Be sure and subscribe so you don’t miss an episode! Also, if you would be so kind as to leave a rating on iTunes and/or write a 2-3 sentence review there or on Stitcher? Your commentary or rating helps make the podcast more “findable” by others who might not know it exists!
3. Share today’s show – Email the link to a friend or share on social media. Just click on the sharing buttons at the bottom of this post!
You have been so great to join me on the journey here on the blog, I hope you jump right in and do the same on the podcast!