Well, let’s dive in and talk about relationships, more specifically toxic and reliable relationships. Gary Thomas joins me for this important conversation. Gary is an author, speaker, husband, father, and doggy dad. His goal is to connect others in the journey of living life as sons and daughters of Christ. He has authored numerous books on relationships whether the topic was marriage or parenting, but more recently, he has been challenged to address toxic relationships and how the church should be responding to toxic people as a congregation and as Christians. He does so in his recent book, When to Walk Away.
The best piece of advice Gary ever received was from a great friend who told him to simply not respond when being faced with attacks from a toxic person. This boggled him, only to challenge him to see what God’s response would be.
Through the gospels, he found where Jesus walked away over and over without resolution. He cared for himself with boundaries which should encourage the rest of us that it’s okay to do the same. Sometimes walking away does not indicate failure but obedience.
Gary helps us to know the difference between a toxic person and a reliable one. He also encourages us to learn how to that God can minister to those in need and it may not be through us.
We have to know when to stay and when to leave and also how to seek God’s opinion on the matter.
Our conversation will help you to gain a correct perspective on relationships, focus on reliable people, and how to obey God’s call to discipleship as we follow his will for our lives based on His Word.
Highlights from Today’s Episode:
- Dealing with toxic relationships
- Release false guilt
- Defining toxic relationships
- Setting healthy boundaries
Resources from today’s show
- Grab a copy of When to Walk Away by Gary Thomas
- Interested in the viral blog-post Gary mentioned? Find it here, “Enough is Enough”
- Interested in the book Gary mentioned, Women Who Love Too Much, find it here.
- Watch the replay of Priscilla’s Simulcast free until May 25th
- Sign up for 60 days of free Bibles through Study Gateway through April 30th.
Click to Tweet
- “Because you are filled with the Holy Spirit, your days matter, your hours count because of the way God can use you.” -Gary Thomas
- “Preserve your soul, preserve your heart, preserve your mind, so that God can use you, not because you are selfish, but because you’re mission-minded.” – Gary Thomas
- “It’s an act of love to resist a toxic person rather than give in to their toxicity. “- Gary Thomas
- I am called by God, I am loved by God, I am kept safe by God – Jude
- “Understand your value before the Lord.” – Gary Thomas
Other Stuff to Check Out
- Did you catch my last episode with Ashlee Eiland? Listen here.
- Need to encourage your soul? Try listening to the playlist I put together for my mom, Lady Lois’ Worship
- Interested in supporting the content I create and enjoying bonus content? Learn about joining my Inner Circle!
- My book, Be sure and also check out my other books She’s Still There,
- 28 Days of Prayer, Show Up For Your Life, Kingdom Woman!
After you’ve listened to the podcast, I’d love to continue the conversation. Be sure and leave a comment!
- What is the best use of your time for God?
- What mission is God calling your heart to, that a toxic person may be standing in your way?
- Who seems to be taking pieces of you and standing in the way of your ministry?
- How will you respond to the toxic people in your life?
Connect with me…
How to Listen to The Podcast
If you’re new to podcasts, think of them like little radio shows that you can listen to at your convenience. They are perfect to listen to and learn from as you workout, fold laundry, wash dishes or conquer the world.
1. Listen right here on the blog. Click the little play button at the beginning of this post.
2. Listen on iTunes or Stitcher or Google Play! – Be sure and subscribe so you don’t miss an episode! Also, if you would be so kind as to leave a rating on iTunes and/or write a 2-3 sentence review there or on Stitcher? Your commentary or rating helps make the podcast more “findable” by others who might not know it exists!
3. Share today’s show – Email the link to a friend or share on social media. Just click on the sharing buttons at the bottom of this post!
You have been so great to join me on the journey here on the blog, I hope you jump right in and do the same on the podcast!