Do you find it hard to be happy? Do you struggle to consistently feel joy? In your journey towards happiness, waves of grief and feelings may arise and cause you to fall into a deep, dark place. However, if you can cling to the truth of God’s Word before the hurricanes of life hit, you will be able to walk through them with a peace and joy that passes all understanding. Happiness is part of your new identity in Christ. You can choose to thrive in life having faith that the stuff you don’t understand, God will work out. No matter how bad life gets, your story is never over when you believe in Jesus. Because of Him, every day is day one.
Today, I am talking to Katie Orr, the author of the book, Secrets of the Happy Soul. Katie mines lessons about happiness from Psalms 1 and 2. She’s found the jewels in God’s Word after walking through her own grief journey and now ministers to others about the peace she discovered in knowing God is in control.
Lately, your antenna may be up because you are looking for loss. You might be feeling the anticipation that something is bound to go wrong any second. There’s a healthy place for embracing the feelings of what life could bring. As you anticipate those things, choose to stockpile truth. Use those times to teach your head and your heart to trust God and walk in His joy. Then when hard times do come, you will know what it means to experience happiness despite your difficulties.
Need a scripture to get you going? Try this verse on for size.
“Blessed is the man who walks NOT in the counsel of the wicked, nor stands in the way of sinners, nor sits in the seat of scoffers, but his delight is in the law of the LORD, and in his law he meditates day and night” (Psalm 1:1-2).
Highlights from Today’s Episode:
- Maintaining joy in hard times
- Resting in God’s sovereignty
- Prioritizing journaling
- Storing Truth in your heart
Resources from today’s show
- Connect with Katie Orr on Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, or on her website.
- Don’t miss the lessons in Psalms 1 and 2 from Katie’s book, Secrets of the Happy Soul
- Check out the book Katie recommended – Happiness by Randy Alcorn
- Want to know more about prayer? Check out my book, The 28-Day Prayer Journey.
Click to Tweet
- “You will thrive in life when you start to believe that God sees you and is working on your behalf.” – Chrystal Hurst
- “There is a happiness, a joy, a fullness, and a peace in knowing that hard times do not define our story.” – Katie Orr
- “Obedience is allowing our inward identity to become our outward reality.” – Katie Orr
- “Happy is part of our new identity in Christ. It is part of our new spiritual DNA.” – Katie Orr
Other Stuff to Check Out
- Need to encourage your soul? Try listening to the playlist I put together for my mom, Lady Lois’ Worship
- Interested in supporting the content I create and enjoying bonus content? Learn about joining my Inner Circle!
- My book, Be sure to also check out my other books She’s Still There, Show Up For Your Life, Kingdom Woman!
- How do you define happiness?
- How are you glorifying God in your life?
- In what ways do you keep track of your daily prayers?
- Are you holding back or holding in your feelings from God? How can barriers be broken down to allow for you to be vulnerable when talking to God?
Connect with me…
How to Listen to The Podcast
If you’re new to podcasts, think of them like little radio shows that you can listen to at your convenience. They are perfect to listen to and learn from as you workout, fold laundry, wash dishes or conquer the world.
1. Listen right here on the blog. Click the little play button at the beginning of this post.
2. Listen on iTunes or Stitcher or Google Play! – Be sure and subscribe so you don’t miss an episode! Also, if you would be so kind as to leave a rating on iTunes and/or write a 2-3 sentence review there or on Stitcher? Your commentary or rating helps make the podcast more “findable” by others who might not know it exists!
3. Share today’s show – Email the link to a friend or share on social media. Just click on the sharing buttons at the bottom of this post!
You have been so great to join me on the journey here on the blog, I hope you jump right in and do the same on the podcast!