Are you ever overwhelmed by your growing list of commitments and the general busyness of life? Many of us lead lives that are bustling and incredibly full, yet in the Scriptures, God has clearly modeled the act of resting. God wants us to be reminded that rest is equally important. How do we learn to carefully choose our commitments and avoid being consumed by a “never stop” mentality?
I’m chatting with my sister, Priscilla Shirer about the importance of rest, and the Biblical portrayal in which God demonstrates a component of His character, by resting. In Genesis 2:2, the Word states, “By the seventh day God had finished the work he had been doing; so on the seventh day he rested from all his work.” God, at the capstone of His creation, rested; not because He was tired and needed to, but to showcase that we must build-in times to intentionally, slow down, and listen for God’s voice. But in an already jam-packed schedule, what strategies do we cultivate and put into play, to learn repose?
Your first step is to check-in with yourself. Consider all your responsibilities and activities and ask if this particular thing/task is worth whatever the cost is. Priscilla and I discuss other practical action steps that help establish and create rhythms of rest in your daily life. Learning to say “no” takes an immense amount of courage, but it also offers margin and at times, even creates opportunities for others to say “yes”.
Not sure how to make room in your life? Feel like by resting you are not actively achieving? Think about this — Rest, itself, is an achievement. Priscilla and I hope to help you think about the beauty of rest in your life in this fun, interesting, and encouraging sister chat captured on audio. Enjoy!
Highlights from Today’s Episode:
- How to hear from God
- Taking action after hearing God’s voice
- Living a life with a rhythm of rest
Resources from today’s show
- Connect with Priscilla on Instagram, Facebook, or on her website
- Purchase “Radiant: His Light, Your Life for Teen Girls and Young Women” by Priscilla Shirer
- Take a look at “Small Great Things” by Jodi Picoult
- Interested in reading “The Red Tent” by Anita Diamant, click here to buy.
Click to Tweet
- “Rest is a component of God’s character.” – Priscilla Shirer
- “Is this particular “yes” worth whatever the cost is?” – Priscilla Shirer
- “Do the hard thing. It builds capacity.” – Chrystal Hurst
- “Saying no takes courage.” – Priscilla Shirer
- “This season is a slow-down season, which give us some room.” – Chrystal Hurst
Other Stuff to Check Out
Check out my new book! The 28-Day Prayer Journey
Need to encourage your soul? Try listening to the playlist I put together for my mom, Lady Lois’ Worship
Interested in supporting the content I create and enjoying bonus content? Learn about joining my Inner Circle!
- In what areas of your life do you need to hear from God?
- How can you take the first step toward creating rhythms of rest in your life?
- In what way did today’s episode challenge you?
Connect with me…
How to Listen to The Podcast
If you’re new to podcasts, think of them like little radio shows that you can listen to at your convenience. They are perfect to listen to and learn from as you workout, fold laundry, wash dishes or conquer the world.
1. Listen right here on the blog. Click the little play button at the beginning of this post.
2. Listen on iTunes or Stitcher or Google Play! – Be sure and subscribe so you don’t miss an episode! Also, if you would be so kind as to leave a rating on iTunes and/or write a 2-3 sentence review there or on Stitcher? Your commentary or rating helps make the podcast more “findable” by others who might not know it exists!
3. Share today’s show – Email the link to a friend or share on social media. Just click on the sharing buttons at the bottom of this post!
You have been so great to join me on the journey here on the blog, I hope you jump right in and do the same on the podcast!