I had the chance to sit down with Megan Fate Marshman, who both exemplifies what living in true, God-given freedom looks like and seeks to share that truth with everyone so that they can experience the same freedom that she has. Megan first discovered how to be free by asking herself the question, “What exactly is it that we should be free from?”
The correct answer isn’t simply “freedom from restraint.” Many of the things that people want to be free to do without consequence (including things as benign as as eating all they want without gaining weight, to things as serious having sex whenever and with whomever they wanted) would actually only enslave them. The freedom to do what our flesh wants without rule or restraint will only ever result in our enslavement, and ultimately, our death (James 1:15). To be truly free is to no longer be bound by the chains of sin and the just condemnation that attends it. And it is that very freedom that Christ obtained for us at the greatest cost and that he desires us to live.
Proverbs 9:10 says, “The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom: and the knowledge of the holy is understanding (KJV).” Fearing God means listening intently to what he has to say, believing it, and following it. When you do that, you’ll find yourself falling more and more deeply in love with Him. You’ll come to know Him and to see that the most powerful being in the entire universe is intimately loving you and revealing to you that He is all the things that He says He is, and that His way is truly the best way. When you grab a hold of this Truth, you won’t have to search for love, fulfillment, or meaning in other places.
In His incredible grace, God forces none of this on you. He allows you to choose whether or not to accept Christ and follow him. But do not be misled; know that “It is for freedom that Christ has set us free (Galatians 5:1, NIV).” We are not forgiven of all our sins so that we can continue living in them, which is tantamount to continuing to live as slaves when we are actually free.
When you accept Christ, you are freed from sin, punishment, and even death, and in turn are given joy, peace, and eternal life. This drastically alters how you live and experience life. When you focus on God’s steadfast love instead of your fears and insecurities, you will begin to feel strong, secure, and free and will want to share the good news with others. Imagine being able to love anyone, no matter how they treat you, because you know you are already loved and free.
God is constantly offering us the greatest freedom ever–the only true freedom–but He allows us to choose. If you have not yet made that choice, know that you can either remain enslaved to sin or walk in the freedom and full light of who God says that you are. And if you have already chosen that freedom, as you listen to today’s episode, I want you to think about this question: if you believe that God’s Word is true, how might God want you to use the very thing you are going through to form you more into the likeness of Jesus?
Highlights from Today’s Episode:
- Walking in freedom
- Accepting God’s Grace
- Sharing God’s freedom
Resources from today’s show
- Follow Megan on Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, and on her website
- Purchase Megan’s book, Meant for Good.
Click to Tweet
- “We’re free not only when we’re not thinking about ourselves but also when we are remembering our ‘why.’” -Chrystal Evans Hurst
- “When you’re not living in the freedom that God offers you, you are not living as complete as you could.” – Megan Fate Marshman
- “God tells us that He knows the plans for our life–not so that we can figure it out, but that we will trust Him enough to believe that His plans are better than ours.” – Megan Fate Marshman
Other Stuff to Check Out
Did you catch my last episode on online dating with Barbara Rainey? Listen here.
Download my summer activities idea guide
Check out my new book! The 28-Day Prayer Journey
Need to encourage your soul? Try listening to the playlist I put together for my mom, Lady Lois’ Worship
Interested in supporting the content I create and enjoying bonus content? Learn about joining my Inner Circle!
- Is there anything in your life that’s not going in the way it should that you actually believe was ultimately meant for good?
- What would your life look like if you began to truly believe that God has a plan for you?
- What have you been trying to fill your cup with in the place of Jesus and His love?
- Are you living in such a way that you are waiting for someone to fill your cup– waiting to be noticed, waiting to be loved?
Connect with me…
How to Listen to The Podcast
If you’re new to podcasts, think of them like little radio shows that you can listen to at your convenience. They are perfect to listen to and learn from as you workout, fold laundry, wash dishes or conquer the world.
1. Listen right here on the blog. Click the little play button at the beginning of this post.
2. Listen on iTunes or Stitcher or Google Play! – Be sure and subscribe so you don’t miss an episode! Also, if you would be so kind as to leave a rating on iTunes and/or write a 2-3 sentence review there or on Stitcher? Your commentary or rating helps make the podcast more “findable” by others who might not know it exists!
3. Share today’s show – Email the link to a friend or share on social media. Just click on the sharing buttons at the bottom of this post!
You have been so great to join me on the journey here on the blog, I hope you jump right in and do the same on the podcast!