One of the most emotionally taxing ways to live is with suppressed doubts and questions.
As my guest on today’s episode shares, “It hurts more to hide it than to tell the truth about it.” Michele Cushatt joins me on the podcast and this girl knows all about living through the hard stuff. Michelle is a three-time head and neck cancer survivor. Her life was forever changed five years ago and today her physical challenges are a constant reminder of the pieces of her life that have been lost. What I love most about Michele is that even through the hard stuff, she is a truth-teller.
Michele is a beautiful example of how we can choose to take the hard, ugly and painful moments of life and allow God to show us Himself in them. It doesn’t mean we don’t have questions, doubts, or there aren’t days when we wish that our lives looked different. It simply means that we have lived long enough to realize that God can give us gifts in the midst of our grief.
You’ll hear Michele talk about the excruciating pain she’s experienced because of her multiple cancer-related surgeries, and how we can find God in the midst of pain. She unpacks the lessons suffering has taught her, as well as what it means to wrestle with God yet continue to choose Him even after we don’t quite understand His ways. There are few people as qualified to talk about the role of suffering in our pursuit of the Savior than Michele.
Her wisdom and her way with words simply blew me away.
Michele is a longtime author and speaker friend. You may already know her because of the resources she puts out into the world. She’s the author of several books and a fellow podcaster. Her newest book is called Relentless: The Unshakable Presence of a God Who Never Leaves.
Because I’ve been going through my own hard time, I asked Michele some tough questions, and in response, Michele offered some profound and reassuring answers. Michele has known excruciating pain because of her multiple cancer-related surgeries, yet, she still believes that God is good and that we can find God in the midst of the deepest suffering.
And after talking to Michele, I was truly encouraged to believe that this is indeed true. This interview was gut-wrenchingly honest but also cathartic and healing. And I believe that our truth-filled conversation will be eye-opening and therapeutic for you too.
Highlights from Today’s Episode:
- Finding God in our pain
- Normalizing doubt and questions
- Pursuing truth in hard seasons
- Finding grace in suffering
Resources from today’s show
- Connect with Michele on Instagram, Facebook, or on her website
- Check out Michele’s podcast
- Grab a copy of Michele Cushatt’s book, Relentless
- Check out the Altar Stone Pack Michele has offered to Chrystal’s listeners. As a companion to her new book, Relentless: The Unshakeable Presence of a God Who Never Leaves, Michele put together the Altar Stone pack as a way for readers to mark their own stones from the moments in their life when God’s presence was evident. The Altar Stone pack comes with instructions and prompts for each of 12 stones found in Michele’s book, Relentless. There are also bonus cards included for notes, important events and memories to complete your pack.
- Listen to my previous episodes with Michele, chrystalevanshurst.com/066, chrystalevanshurst.com/122
Click to Tweet
- Doubt becomes dangerous when it becomes an excuse for complacency. – Michele Cushatt
- Sorrow and joy are not sequential, they are simultaneous. – Michele Cushatt
- The presence of pain does not indicate an absence of God. – Michele Cushatt
- When you pursue truth, things you’d think would destroy your faith will actually build it up. – Michele Cushatt
- If we could completely wrap our minds around God, He would be a God way too small for us. – Michele Cushatt
- God is able to give you a gift in the midst of your grief. – Michele Cushatt
Other Stuff to Check Out
- Did you catch my last episode with Valorie Burton? Listen here.
- Need to encourage your soul? Try listening to the playlist I put together for my mom, Lady Lois’ Worship
- Interested in supporting the content I create and enjoying bonus content? Learn about becoming a co-producer!
- My book, Be sure and also check out my other books She’s Still There,
- 28 Days of Prayer, Show Up For Your Life, Kingdom Woman!
- Did you catch the latest video I uploaded to my YouTube channel? I shared a message I gave recently at my church on The Sword (The Word of God). Watch it by clicking HERE.
After you’ve listened to the podcast, I’d love to continue the conversation. Be sure and leave a comment!
- What feelings about God or your faith have you suppressed because your doubts or questions weren’t accepted?
- Do you believe that God is real, that He’s good and He can be trusted?
- In what ways have you seen God usher in gifts during times of grief? What has that taught you about His character? How have you seen God in your pain?
- Have you put false (high) expectations on yours/others suffering? How can you extend grace?
Connect with me…
How to Listen to The Podcast
If you’re new to podcasts, think of them like little radio shows that you can listen to at your convenience. They are perfect to listen to and learn from as you workout, fold laundry, wash dishes or conquer the world.
1. Listen right here on the blog. Click the little play button at the beginning of this post.
2. Listen on iTunes or Stitcher or Google Play! – Be sure and subscribe so you don’t miss an episode! Also, if you would be so kind as to leave a rating on iTunes and/or write a 2-3 sentence review there or on Stitcher? Your commentary or rating helps make the podcast more “findable” by others who might not know it exists!
3. Share today’s show – Email the link to a friend or share on social media. Just click on the sharing buttons at the bottom of this post!
You have been so great to join me on the journey here on the blog, I hope you jump right in and do the same on the podcast!