What do you do when the unexpected pops up and changes your daily routine? A lot of us may complain and give the unplanned the power to ruin the rest of our day, maybe even the rest of our week! You actually have the power to choose! Unexpected surprises — big or small — don’t have to throw you completely off course. There is still hope that God can work everything together for the good in your life. The deciding factor is what you choose to feed — fear or faith.
Today, I’m chatting with Chris and Emily Norton who have both walked through massive curveballs of their own and found the ability to persevere by focusing on the power of faith and positivity.
Chris was injured permanently while playing college football in 2010. He never let that stop him from walking across the stage at graduation or even finding the love of his life. Emily and Chris’ most recent book The Seven Longest Yards chronicles their journey together down the aisle and beyond. As they parent 5 adopted girls and foster many other children, their focus is: “Living our life and following what God’s calling us to do.” They’ve learned that there is beauty in surrender.
So when the unexpected hits you out of left field, know that you have a choice. You don’t have to fear, worry, or be stressed out with the change. You can choose to surrender. Then, you can experience what it means to grow from your difficulty instead of simply staying stuck in the aftermath of the difficult, challenging, or surprising twists and turns of life. No one has the power to choose surrender for you but you. And once you switch your attitude to what could be instead of simply what you see in front of you, anything is possible, my friend.
Highlights from Today’s Episode:
- Persevering through pain
- Finding purpose through pain
- Letting go of what you can’t control
- Surrendering to God
- Focusing on what you CAN do.
- Highlighting the positive
Click to Tweet
- “Do what you have to do, and let the rest go” -Emily Norton
- “Living our life and following what God’s calling us to do is impacting people around us and opening their eyes to something they weren’t aware of previously.” -Emily Norton
- “When I’m able to surrender what’s out of my control and surrender the outcomes to God, it gets me to work and really focus on what I can do and know that that’s enough. -Emily Norton
- If you always focus on what’s wrong, you’ll never see what’s right -Chris Norton
- You have to do your own part while giving it to God- Chris Norton
Resources From Today’s Show
- Connect with Chris and Emily on Instagram, Twitter, Facebook or on her website.
- Pick up a copy of The Seven Longest Yards
- Listen to Chris Norton Motivational Speaking
- Watch some of Chris and Emily’s Viral videos: Chris Walking Across the Stage and Chris and Emily’s Wedding Walk
Other Stuff to Check Out
- Grab my latest books She’s Still There, Show Up For Your Life, 28 Days of Prayer, or Kingdom Woman!
- If you missed Episode 229 with Whitney Capps, Click here to listen!
- Get a chance to read my post about My Summer Hair Situation?
- Interested in supporting the content I create? Learn about becoming a co-producer!
- Want to subscribe to the blog and grab a freebie? CLICK HERE
After you’ve listened to the podcast, I’d love to continue the conversation. Be sure and leave a comment!
- Can you think about the current situation in your life where highlighting the positive might actually help you move forward?
- Think about your own story of perseverance. Have you shared that with someone else in hopes that it may inspire them?
- What do you do when you feel overwhelmed by life? Do you surrender to God and focus on what you can do? Or do you feel stuck?
- Do you live your life in a way that is impactful? What are you doing to make sure that you are positively influencing those in your circle?
Connect with me…
How to Listen to The Podcast
If you’re new to podcasts, think of them like little radio shows that you can listen to at your convenience. They are perfect to listen to and learn from as you workout, fold laundry, wash dishes or conquer the world.
1. Listen right here on the blog. Click the little play button at the beginning of this post.
2. Listen on iTunes or Stitcher or Google Play! – Be sure and subscribe so you don’t miss an episode! Also, if you would be so kind as to leave a rating on iTunes and/or write a 2-3 sentence review there or on Stitcher? Your commentary or rating helps make the podcast more “findable” by others who might not know it exists!
3. Share today’s show – Email the link to a friend or share on social media. Just click on the sharing buttons at the bottom of this post!
You have been so great to join me on the journey here on the blog, I hope you jump right in and do the same on the podcast!