What is the story that you tell about yourself? What lies are you believing? If you’re like most people, you define yourself based on your struggles, your shortcomings, and even your successes. But did you know that the story you tell about yourself—how you answer questions like “why do I matter?”—will actually determine how you live out your future as well? It is so tempting to evaluate ourselves by the standard most people use, but as followers of Christ, we are called to a very different way of thinking, and by extension, a very different way of living. Regardless of what life throws at us, whether successes or failures, we must remember that our true identity is not based on our distinct characteristics and personalities or our strengths and weaknesses, but instead on what God’s Word has to say about us—in other words, what God Himself knows to be true of us.
On today’s show, I had a chat with my sister, Priscilla Shirer. Priscilla has a role in an upcoming film, Overcomer, produced by the Kendrick Brothers, which will debut on August 23, 2019. She has also just released a new book, Radiant, and a new Bible study, Defined. Overcomer, Radiant, and Defined all center on the theme of identity. Priscilla shared these words about identity in her new book:
“The culture will try to DEFINE YOU, your past may try to LABEL YOU, the enemy will seek to DECEIVE YOU, but no one has the authority to GIVE YOU YOUR NAME—your true identity—except your Father.”
It’s important not to allow our value to be wrapped up in worldly, temporal things, but instead to have it firmly rooted in the unchanging Words God has spoken over our lives. When circumstances arise that make us question our true identity, we must renew our minds in the Word and boldly and courageously declare its truths. When we know who we truly are and walk in the light of it, it will give us confidence in Him and His ability to shape and mold us into the unique, gifted, and valuable individuals He has called us to be. In Christ, we never have any reason to feel defeated or afraid.
I hope you enjoy this chat with my sister—I know I did.
Highlights from Today’s Episode:
- Priscilla’s role in the movie, Overcomers
- Knowing your Identity
- Priscilla’s new book, Radiant
- Battling Comparison
Click to Tweet
- “Discover what God says about you and choose to live in light of that.” – Priscilla Shirer
- “It’s so important to read God’s Word for yourself—to wash and renew your mind in it until you believe what God says about you.” – Chrystal Evans Hurst
- “You are a complete opportunity—a complete package—to reflect the creative genius of God in a spectacular way, if you just relax and be you.” – Priscilla Shirer
Resources From Today’s Show
- Connect with Priscilla on Instagram, Twitter, YouTube or on her website.
- Subscribe to Priscilla’s newsletter, Jewelry Box
- Pick up a copy of Priscilla’s book Radiant and Bible study Defined.
- Listen to previous episodes with Priscilla
Other Stuff to Check Out
- Grab my latest books She’s Still There, Show Up For Your Life, 28 Days of Prayer, or Kingdom Woman!
- If you missed Episode 227 with my mom, sister and daughter, Click here to listen!
- Get a chance to read my post about My Summer Hair Situation?
- Interested in supporting the content I create? Learn about becoming a co-producer!
- Want to subscribe to the blog and grab a freebie? CLICK HERE
After you’ve listened to the podcast, I’d love to continue the conversation. Be sure and leave a comment!
- What aspect about yourself do you struggle with accepting? Are you open to letting God use it?
- Have you ever found that you’ve defined yourself by something fleeting or temporal? How do you remind yourself of your true identity?
- What can you do this week to ensure you are paying attention to the pings of the Holy Spirit in your heart? Where can you carve out some time to sit with the Lord long enough to recognize the reason(s) for the pings?
Connect with me…
How to Listen to The Podcast
If you’re new to podcasts, think of them like little radio shows that you can listen to at your convenience. They are perfect to listen to and learn from as you workout, fold laundry, wash dishes or conquer the world.
1. Listen right here on the blog. Click the little play button at the beginning of this post.
2. Listen on iTunes or Stitcher or Google Play! – Be sure and subscribe so you don’t miss an episode! Also, if you would be so kind as to leave a rating on iTunes and/or write a 2-3 sentence review there or on Stitcher? Your commentary or rating helps make the podcast more “findable” by others who might not know it exists!
3. Share today’s show – Email the link to a friend or share on social media. Just click on the sharing buttons at the bottom of this post!
You have been so great to join me on the journey here on the blog, I hope you jump right in and do the same on the podcast!