What is it that you want more deeply than anything else? In my previous podcast, I had a conversation with my guest about learning to dream again, because we can become so disappointed by all the dreams we’ve had that didn’t become a reality that we just stop dreaming at all. A similar issue happens with decision-making: we can become so laser-focused on what we want an outcome to be (our future plans) that we find ourselves unable to be settled and content wherever it is that we currently find ourselves. If we’re ever going to be at peace, we need to start simply, humbly aiming to do the next right thing.
Did you know there’s a book about that? Emily P. Freeman is the author of The Next Right Thing: A Simple, Soulful Practice for Making Right Decisions, and she’s joining me on this episode to talk about decision-making. Emily understands that when we have a big decision to make, what we want more than anything is peace, clarity, and a nudge in the right direction.
Emily offers some practical tips on how to bring clarity to your decision-making process. In doing so, she explains how decision-making is an individual process and how looking at the way we have been uniquely designed can help us determine how to best go about making decisions.
To me, my chat with Emily was a great reminder about the value of self-reflection and intentionally marking memories, not just for decision-making but also for remembering the all life-giving moments God’s given me.
Listen, you know I’m all about living moments that matter. That’s what I’m here to help you do. And if we can learn to make decisions that we feel good about, decisions that leave us feeling peaceful and not chaotic, then we will find ourselves creating moments that are marked with memories worth celebrating.
So make sure you listen closely to this episode. Emily’s desire, and mine as well, is to help you show up in the world as the deep, passionate person you are designed to be. But it’s up to you. You have to decide—not exactly what your future will be; no one knows that—but simply to do the next right thing.
Highlights from Today’s Episode:
- Understanding how you personally best make decisions
- Strengthening your decision-making muscle
- Battling decision fatigue
- Using creativity to make decisions
- Living a life of reflection
Click to Tweet
- “Little decisions can positively impact your whole life direction.” – Emily Freeman
- “Celebrate the moments of your life, and those moments will mark the memories of your life.” – Chrystal Hurst
- “As people who are made in God’s image, creativity is our birthright.” – Emily Freeman
- “We are designed to live our lives creatively.” – Emily Freeman
- “Don’t let other people’s agendas live in the sacred space of your creative mind for free.” – Emily Freeman
Resources From Today’s Show
- Connect with Emily on Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, or her website
- Grab a copy of Emily’s book, The Next Right Thing: A Simple, Soulful Practice for Making Life Decisions
- Take Emily’s quiz to determine your decision making personality.
- Interested in Emily’s membership for writers? Find more info here.
Other Stuff to Check Out
- Grab my latest books She’s Still There, Show Up For Your Life, 28 Days of Prayer, or Kingdom Woman!
- Did you miss Episode 211 With Jo Saxton?! Click here to listen! You can also watch our full conversation here on YouTube.
- Interested in supporting the content I create? Learn about becoming a co-producer!
- Want to subscribe to the blog and grab a freebie? CLICK HERE
After you’ve listened to the podcast, I’d love to continue the conversation. Be sure and leave a comment!
- Did you take Emily’s quiz? How do you make decisions? Do you lead with your head, heart, or intuition? How might this knowledge change how you think about the way you make decisions?
- Is there a decision you are struggling to make right now? Did this episode help? If so, please share below; I’d love to hear about it.
- What boundaries have you set or do you need to set around your decision-making in your home, job, or relationships?
Connect with me…
How to Listen to The Podcast
If you’re new to podcasts, think of them like little radio shows that you can listen to at your convenience. They are perfect to listen to and learn from as you workout, fold laundry, wash dishes or conquer the world.
1. Listen right here on the blog. Click the little play button at the beginning of this post.
2. Listen on iTunes or Stitcher or Google Play! – Be sure and subscribe so you don’t miss an episode! Also, if you would be so kind as to leave a rating on iTunes and/or write a 2-3 sentence review there or on Stitcher? Your commentary or rating helps make the podcast more “findable” by others who might not know it exists!
3. Share today’s show – Email the link to a friend or share on social media. Just click on the sharing buttons at the bottom of this post!
You have been so great to join me on the journey here on the blog, I hope you jump right in and do the same on the podcast!