What’s that one thing? The thing you’d be ashamed of if anyone knew? In this podcast, Jamie Ivey shares the parts of her past that she hoped people would never know. She also tells the truth about what happens when you are honest. The truth is when you go back and think about where you were 20 years ago, it might be hard. Raw feelings may rise, self-doubt can surface, and thinking about your past might cause you to exercise emotional muscles that haven’t been used in awhile. This is what Jamie Ivey, host of The Happy Hour podcast, did in her new book, If You Only Knew.
This chat is about freedom. Jamie learned that she doesn’t have to wear the shame of her past. This has been pivotal for her walk of faith. She also shares how her life changed when she began to believe the people around her didn’t look down on her because of her sin.
Jamie has learned to be “okay-with-not-being-okay” and to live everyday aiming to follow Jesus. She exposes her mess, both in her book and in this podcast, bringing to light what she has been through and what she’s learned. She is in awe of what God has done in her life despite her failures. Being able to sympathize with people who also struggle, she is honest about her own and believes when we are transparent about our story, we can point others to Jesus.
Do you need freedom? Do you need to break the bondage of shame in your life? Jamie Ivey has truth to share on today’s podcast after learning for herself what it means to live free in Christ. I am thankful for Jamie’s openness and willingness to say out loud what shame might have otherwise tempted her to keep silent.
Listen to this episode and pick up a copy of Jamie’s book. And if you’ve never listened to Jamie’s podcast, The Happy Hour, be sure and check that out too. Link is below under resources!
Highlight from Today’s Episode:
- Freedom from shame
- Giving and receiving acceptance
- Women and the pornagraphy struggle
- The danger of secrets
Resources From Today’s Show
- Purchase If You Only Knew by Jamie Ivey
- Find Jamie on her website, Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.
- The Happy Hour Podcast
- Listen to my interview from that time when I was on Jamie’s show.
==> Click to Tweet
- A human cannot satisfy the hole in your heart. Only God can. – Jamie Ivey
- You are the owner of your choices. – Jamie Ivey
- Struggling through your faith is an indication that you are fighting for your faith. – Jamie Ivey
- We have to be careful not to forget about the sinner because we are so focused on the sin. – Chrystal Hurst
- Own your story and then ask God where He wants you to use it. – Chrystal Hurst
==> General Links
- Did you miss my chat with Amena Brown, Alisa Keaton, or Allison Schaaf? Be sure and listen!!
- Want to subscribe to the blog and grab a freebie? CLICK HERE
- Kingdom Woman by Chrystal Evans Hurst and Tony Evans
- She’s Still There by Chrystal Evans Hurst
After you’ve listened to the podcast, I’d love to continue the conversation. Be sure and leave a comment!
- Do you have a secret that is eating away at you? Who in your life could you share that with?
- Do you struggle with carrying shame? How do you remind yourself of the freedom that you have in Christ?
- Do you have friends who speak truth to you? Are you that friend?
Connect with me…
How to Listen to The Podcast
If you’re new to podcasts, think of them like little radio shows that you can listen to at your convenience. They are perfect to listen to and learn from as you workout, fold laundry, wash dishes or conquer the world.
1. Listen right here on the blog. Click the little play button at the beginning of this post.
2. Listen on iTunes or Stitcher or Google Play! – Be sure and subscribe so you don’t miss an episode! Also, if you would be so kind as to leave a rating on iTunes and/or write a 2-3 sentence review there or on Stitcher? Your commentary or rating helps make the podcast more “findable” by others who might not know it exists!
3. Share today’s show – Email the link to a friend or share on social media. Just click on the sharing buttons at the bottom of this post!
You have been so great to join me on the journey here on the blog, I hope you jump right in and do the same on the podcast!