In light of the recent events that have followed the killings of George Floyd, Ahmaud Arbery, and Breonna Taylor, I wanted to answer the one question I keep hearing over and over again. “What do I do?” The answer to that question is SOMETHING. We must do something. We spent the morning listing resources that we can all benefit from to help educate ourselves around systemic racism and racial injustice that is plaguing our country. But we can also just “google it”! We have to be willing to do the homework and have hard conversations with people from different backgrounds than our own. Don’t let the fear of being criticized paralyze you from doing something. We can read, watch, give, and speak out. I challenge us to use the power that you have to make a choice. I shared some resources in this video but more, not mentioned in this video were shared as well.
- 75 Things White People Can Do for Racial Justice
- The Half Has Never Been Told: Slavery and the Making of American Capitalism – by Edward E. Baptist:
- Lies My Teacher Told Me: Everything Your American History Textbook Got Wrong Paperback – by James W. Loewen:
- Be the Bridge: Pursuing God’s Heart for Racial Reconciliation Paperback – by Latasha Morrison
- The New Jim Crow: Mass Incarceration in the Age of Colorblindness – by Michelle Alexander
- Caught: The Prison State and the Lockdown of American Politics – by Marie Gottschalk
- A People’s History of the United States Paperback – by Howard Zinn
- The Color of Law: A Forgotten History of How Our Government Segregated America – by Richard Rothstein
- I’m Still Here: Black Dignity in a World Made for Whiteness by Austin Channing Brown
- Defending Black Faith: Answers to Tough Questions About African-American Christianity by Craig S. Keener and Glenn Usry
- Stamped from the Beginning: The Definitive History of Racist Ideas in America (National Book Award Winner) by Ibram X. Kendi
- We Were Eight Years in Power: An American Tragedy by Ta-Nehisi Coates:
- Oneness Embraced: Reconciliation, the Kingdom, and How We are Stronger Together by Tony Evans
- The Color of Compromise: The Truth about the American Church’s Complicity in Racism by Jemar Tisby and Lecrae Moore:
EPISODES FROM MY PODCAST
- Real Talk about Relationships: Racism and Social Justice with Ashley Irons
- Igniting Radical Kindness with Ashlee Eiland
- Finding Identity. Sharing Hope. with Jasmine Holmes
- Bonus Episode with Ekemini Uwan
MOVIES ON NETFLIX
- 13th: From Slave to Criminal with One Amendment
- Fruitvale Station When They See Us
- Priscilla Shirer IGTV with Pastor Tony Evans
- Books shared by Dr. Eric M. Mason
- Jackie Hill Perry movie suggestions
Other Stuff to Check Out
- Check out my book, 28 Days of Prayer! Intentionally invest in your communication with God. Not ready to by the book? Take the free 5 Day Prayer Journey
- Did you know that my father, Dr. Tony Evans, has a Bible Commentary available? Click here to check it out! If you want to know more about my father’s ministry and the multitude of resources he has available to help you in your walk with God, go to Tony Evans.org
- Want to read even more of the Bible? Check out 20 Ways to Read Through the Bible.
- Did you catch the latest video I uploaded to my YouTube channel? I shared a message I gave recently at my church on the The Sword (The Word of God). Watch it by clicking HERE.
- If you don’t want to miss more great content, be sure and sign up for my email newsletter.
- Interested in supporting the content I create and enjoying extra special benefits? Learn about becoming a co-producer!
- On social media? So am I! Connect with me Instagram, Facebook, YouTube, & Twitter