How do you continue to believe in the things God says–for example, that he loves you and has a plan for your life– when you experience a pain so excruciating that you lose the will to keep living?
Today’s podcast is heavy, but I know you will be blessed by it, because the greatest acts of God’s grace are always accompanied by the greatest suffering. My guest is Lora Jones, who will be sharing the sort of experience we all pray we never have to go through.
In 2004, Lora’s family was at the top of their game. She had been married to her husband, a pastor, for twenty years and been blessed with two children. Life had not been easy for them, but overall, things were good. Around Thanksgiving, they planned a trip to spend time with family. Lora fell asleep on the ride. When she woke up, her entire life had changed. Her family had been in a near head-on collision, and her husband and son had died on the scene. Her daughter would die hours later with her family gathered around her singing her into heaven.
Lora still shakes every time she retells the story.
Her heart died that night. Losing her family brought her to the end of herself. She didn’t want to believe in God anymore, but she realized she had a simple decision to make: either walk away from God and live in a world without Him–a world without hope–or continue to believe in Him, even if it made no sense.
Lora had no idea how and why she lived and the family she loved did not. The only explanation available to her was a simple one: for some reason, God wanted her to live. However, holding on to the belief that God wanted her here didn’t make it any easier for her to show up to her life when all she wanted was for God to take her home.
Lora longs for heaven. No amount of opportunities or accomplishments will ever make her feel as if losing her family was “worth it” or “made sense.” She knows she would not understand God’s ways even if He would somehow answer all of her questions. However, no matter what, her hope is in Him. Even though she has had to walk through incredible pain without understanding, fighting back anger and despair, her heart still chose to come back to Him.
If anyone can say this, Lora can: You–your faith–can come back from anything. Do you believe that? Your life may be very different than you expected it to be, but as Lora shares in our chat: “Much of life is accepting the gifts that God has given you, even though you really wanted other ones.”
Highlights from Today’s Episode:
- Experiencing God’s presence in pain
- Believing God when you don’t understand
- Healing your heart after a loss
- Sharing your story after a loss
Click to Tweet
- “To believe there is no God is to believe there is no hope.” – Lora Jones
- “Believing God is a choice you make over and over again.” – Lora Jones
- “By telling your story, you give others a little hope that God can show up in their story.” – Lora Jones
- “God has not dropped any of the pieces of your heart, He has them all.” – Lora Jones
- “Healing for your heart is allowing joy to enter pain.” – Lora Jones
Resources From Today’s Show
- Connect with Lora on Facebook, her website
- Pick up a copy of Song of a Wounded Heart by Lora Jones
- Listen to “Voice of Truth” by Casting Crowns
- Download a copy of a Bible reading plan shared by Lora
Other Stuff to Check Out
- Grab my latest books She’s Still There, Show Up For Your Life, 28 Days of Prayer, or Kingdom Woman!
- If you missed Episode 223 with Lysa TerKeurst Click here to listen!
- Get a chance to read my post about My Summer Hair Situation?
- Interested in supporting the content I create? Learn about becoming a co-producer!
- Want to subscribe to the blog and grab a freebie? CLICK HERE
After you’ve listened to the podcast, I’d love to continue the conversation. Be sure and leave a comment!
- How do you remind yourself of the truth of God’s Word when you are experiencing unbearable pain?
- Has God asked you to share your story? What’s stopping you from sharing?
- Who do you know that needs to hear Lora’s story? Be sure to share this episode with him or her.
Connect with me…
How to Listen to The Podcast
If you’re new to podcasts, think of them like little radio shows that you can listen to at your convenience. They are perfect to listen to and learn from as you workout, fold laundry, wash dishes or conquer the world.
1. Listen right here on the blog. Click the little play button at the beginning of this post.
2. Listen on iTunes or Stitcher or Google Play! – Be sure and subscribe so you don’t miss an episode! Also, if you would be so kind as to leave a rating on iTunes and/or write a 2-3 sentence review there or on Stitcher? Your commentary or rating helps make the podcast more “findable” by others who might not know it exists!
3. Share today’s show – Email the link to a friend or share on social media. Just click on the sharing buttons at the bottom of this post!
You have been so great to join me on the journey here on the blog, I hope you jump right in and do the same on the podcast!