Jennifer Fulwiler, the podcast guest for the show, is a woman who is constantly on the go. She lives an incredibly full life: not only is she married with six kids but she also authors books, does stand-up comedy and hosts her own Sirius XM show. Jennifer grew up in the middle of the Bible belt but was raised as an atheist. She was so adamant about her beliefs that she loved to argue against the existence of God with the Christians in her hometown. It was only later in life when she was blessed with her first child that she began to change her mind. She was overwhelmed with a love so intense that she knew it had to originate from a source. In this way, Jennifer’s entry into motherhood marked the beginning of her journey in finding God and discovering the life-giving faith that she lives out today.
About a year ago, Jennifer stumbled into comedy. She noticed that her natural gift for making others laugh could help people who were struggling or suffering by taking them out of themselves and relieving the burden they carried, even if only for a moment. At the same time, Jennifer also noticed that there weren’t people like her in the world of professional comedy. When she watched comedy shows on Netflix, the comedians’ sense of humor wasn’t relatable to her as a Christ-follower. Sometimes these comedians were overtly insulting to people of faith, but more often the problem was that most of their jokes were crude, heavily focused on hookup culture or filled to the brim with F-bombs. In light of all that, Jennifer saw that there was a clear need for her gift. She decided to do a tour to help people reconnect with hope through laughter while enjoying a night out. In this unexpected way, a whole new career was born.
Using her life as an example, Jennifer and I talk about what it looks like to follow your passion and be creative in using your gifts to fulfill needs that aren’t being met by anyone else. Personally, Jennifer has seen how powerful this can be: in pursuing her unique gifts, she has learned what it is to bring joy to the lives of women across the world and, in doing so, help them carry their crosses.
Highlights from Today’s Episode:
- Appreciating the spiritual power of comedy
- Identifying your gifts
- Praying for the right friends (your “sister circle”!)
- Choosing to be fearless
Click to Tweet
- “Stop trying to figure out your gift. Just try something and notice where the fruit grows.” – Jennifer Fulwiler
- “We are not meant to do this life alone. We need other people.” – Jennifer Fulwiler
- “You can be a reasonable person, you can be a thinking person, and not eschew belief. Being reasonable and thoughtful doesn’t eschew faith.” -Chrystal Hurst
- “Laughter is a beautiful way to relieve burdens and bring a sense of hope.” -Jennifer Fulwiler
- “You can choose to get up and act fearless, even when you don’t feel that way.” – Chrystal Hurst
Resources From Today’s Show
- Connect with Jennifer on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, or her website.
- Pick up a copy of Jennifer’s latest book, One Beautiful Dream
- Listen to the first chapter of Jennifer’s latest book, One Beautiful Dream
- Listen to highlights from Jen’s SiriusXM show, “Jen Said What?!”
- Want to hear more about identifying your gifts–in other words, figuring out what makes you come alive and gives your energy? Listen to Christy Wright interview me about finding your true self.
Other Stuff to Check Out
- Grab my latest books She’s Still There, Show Up For Your Life, 28 Days of Prayer, or Kingdom Woman!
- Did you miss Episode 218 with Tricia Goyer?! Click here to listen!
- Get a chance to read my post about My Summer Hair Situation?
- Interested in supporting the content I create? Learn about becoming a co-producer!
- Want to subscribe to the blog and grab a freebie? CLICK HERE
After you’ve listened to the podcast, I’d love to continue the conversation. Be sure and leave a comment!
- What can you try today that will get you closer to discovering your gifts?
- Do you have a sister circle? If not, where is one place you already go that you can start looking for new friends? Watch this episode on friendship with Tammy Franklin and her sister circle.
- In what specific ways is God asking you to step out and be fearless?
Connect with me…
How to Listen to The Podcast
If you’re new to podcasts, think of them like little radio shows that you can listen to at your convenience. They are perfect to listen to and learn from as you workout, fold laundry, wash dishes or conquer the world.
1. Listen right here on the blog. Click the little play button at the beginning of this post.
2. Listen on iTunes or Stitcher or Google Play! – Be sure and subscribe so you don’t miss an episode! Also, if you would be so kind as to leave a rating on iTunes and/or write a 2-3 sentence review there or on Stitcher? Your commentary or rating helps make the podcast more “findable” by others who might not know it exists!
3. Share today’s show – Email the link to a friend or share on social media. Just click on the sharing buttons at the bottom of this post!
You have been so great to join me on the journey here on the blog, I hope you jump right in and do the same on the podcast!