What do you do when you conquer one health crisis only to be met by another one? What do you do when you realize you will never get to know your children’s children? How do you face the reality of your temporality with grace?
Kim Fredrickson is a wife, mother, seminary professor, and for 30 plus years she maintained a thriving Marriage and Family Therapy practice. But in 2013, her life completely changed when she was diagnosed with breast cancer. After having a lumpectomy, chemotherapy, and radiation, Kim beat cancer and thought her life was getting back to normal. Just four short days later, she was diagnosed with a rare side-effect from her cancer treatment and was given a life expectancy of 3 to 5 years.
By God’s grace and guidance, Kim has become determined to use these final years of her life for good, and she hopes to bless others with the words she would have loved to share personally with her grandchildren – grandchildren she will not meet on this side of eternity.
In this episode Kim shares the ups and downs of her health journey. She also shares how to practically forgive, love, and show compassion for yourself. Then, at the end of our conversation, Kim shares what she wants her grandchildren to know about her.
Have some tissue nearby because, if you are like me, this conversation will touch a tender place in her heart as you consider how short our time on this earth can actually be.
Highlights from Today’s Episode:
- Embracing the Reality of a Terminal Illness
- Having Compassion for Yourself & Others
- Leaving a Legacy and Living With the End in Mind
Resources From Today’s Show
- Give Your Kids a Break and Give Yourself a Break by Kim Fredrickson
- Compassionate Self-Statements & Self-Soothing Exercises Audio Resource by Kim Fredrickson
- Find Kim Fredrickson on her website, Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram
==> Click to Tweet
- God wants us to love ourselves, in spite of our flaws. – Kim Fredrickson
- If we don’t love ourselves, we will not have love to give others – Kim Fredrickson
- Learn to forgive yourself – don’t tear yourself down with negative words and thoughts – Kim Fredrickson
- We don’t have to be perfect to be accepted by God – Kim Fredrickson
- Hold your plans loosely and let God determine your direction – Kim Fredrickson
- Be open to the opportunities that you did not expect – Kim Fredrickson
==> General Links
- Did you miss my last bonus episode with Kat Lee? Click here to listen!
- Want to subscribe to the blog and grab a freebie? CLICK HERE
- Kingdom Woman by Chrystal Evans Hurst and Tony Evans
Kim’s Questions to Ask to Begin to Forgive Yourself:
- Did I do what I did on purpose?
- Am I truly sorry?
- Have I apologized and asked forgiveness from the person that I hurt?
- If my friend did the same thing to somebody else, would they deserve to be forgiven and what would I say to them?
- Why am I so surprised by my own sinfulness and imperfections?
- Do I really think I can go through life without making major mistakes and hurting others – even those I love?
After you’ve listened to the podcast, I’d love to continue the conversation. Be sure and leave a comment!
- Are you struggling to forgive yourself for some past situation or deed? If so, walk through Kim’s questions above and state one action you can take today to move forward towards forgiving yourself.
- What gift, talent, or passion will you hold loosely and let God direct your path?
- What do you want the next generation to say about your life?
Connect with me…
How to Listen to The Podcast
If you’re new to podcasts, think of them like little radio shows that you can listen to at your convenience. They are perfect to listen to and learn from as you workout, fold laundry, wash dishes or conquer the world.
1. Listen right here on the blog. Click the little play button at the beginning of this post.
2. Listen on iTunes or Stitcher or Google Play! – Be sure and subscribe so you don’t miss an episode! Also, if you would be so kind as to leave a rating on iTunes and/or write a 2-3 sentence review there or on Stitcher? Your commentary or rating helps make the podcast more “findable” by others who might not know it exists!
3. Share today’s show – Email the link to a friend or share on social media. Just click on the sharing buttons at the bottom of this post!
You have been so great to join me on the journey here on the blog, I hope you jump right in and do the same on the podcast!