After having children later in life, Nicole Johnson is simultaneously navigating two difficult roles — raising her kids and caring for her elderly parents.
Nicole’s daughter was just 3 years old when her mom started battling health issues. This changed the focus and rhythm of Nicole’s life as she began flying to visit her mom during crucial seasons of surgery & recovery, coming home to raise her own kids, and continuing her ministry as a speaker and writer.
Nicole will speak deeply to many of you. She is full of experience and wisdom on how to nurture the best of you while facing “diapers on both ends” (quote from Nicole). We chat about self-care, why we must put the oxygen mask on ourselves first, and how we’re not in a place to care for others if we are depleting ourselves.
We also talk about the myth of a balanced life and freeing ourselves from the expectation that we can and should meet everyone’s needs. The sooner we recognize and make peace with the fact that we can’t meet everyone’s needs, the more content we are with what we can do.
Nicole pours out tons of practical advice and wisdom on the podcast today, and I’m so excited for you to listen and learn for yourself. Enjoy!
Highlight from Today’s Episode:
- Navigating caring for young kids and elderly parents simultaneously
- Caring for yourself in order to care for others
- Finding freedom from the myth of a balanced life
- Changing your perspective to live free from guilt
Resources From Today’s Show
- Check out Nicole’s book, Creating Calm in the Center of Crazy
- Find Nicole on her website, Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram
- Get a copy of She’s Still There for yourself or a friend
==> Click to Tweet
- “Make time to simply be and not do.” Nicole Johnson
- “When we see each other, we should keep encouraging each other.” Nicole Johnson
- “We all have the same story, just different details. We’re all carrying similar burdens. Nicole Johnson
==> General Links
- Did you miss Part 2 of How to Be Happy When You’re Not? Click here to listen!
- Want to subscribe to the blog and grab a freebie? CLICK HERE
- Kingdom Woman by Chrystal Evans Hurst and Tony Evans
After you’ve listened to the podcast, I’d love to continue the conversation. Be sure and leave a comment!
- Are you more concerned with being selfish or appearing selfish when you take time to nurture your soul?
- How can you change your perspective and start giving “here’s what I can do” responses, rather than “here’s what I can’t do” responses?
- What are the top 5 priorities in your life? Spend some time differentiating the high-level priorities that will always get your attention and the lower-level priorities that are okay to say no to at times.
- When is a time where you crossed the line between caring for yourself and caring for others? What did you learn from it?
Connect with me…
How to Listen to The Podcast
If you’re new to podcasts, think of them like little radio shows that you can listen to at your convenience. They are perfect to listen to and learn from as you workout, fold laundry, wash dishes or conquer the world.
1. Listen right here on the blog. Click the little play button at the beginning of this post.
2. Listen on iTunes or Stitcher or Google Play! – Be sure and subscribe so you don’t miss an episode! Also, if you would be so kind as to leave a rating on iTunes and/or write a 2-3 sentence review there or on Stitcher? Your commentary or rating helps make the podcast more “findable” by others who might not know it exists!
3. Share today’s show – Email the link to a friend or share on social media. Just click on the sharing buttons at the bottom of this post!
You have been so great to join me on the journey here on the blog, I hope you jump right in and do the same on the podcast!