It’s so easy to get swept away in the details of a wedding day and forget to prepare for the lifelong marriage that follows. On today’s podcast, Clayton and Ashlee Hurst share their marriage story and talk honestly about how, after five years of marriage, they found themselves in a valley of terrible communication, unforgiveness, and selfishness.
The Hursts talk about a difficult question that got them out of their valley: “Are we willing to do whatever it takes to have the marriage we’ve always hoped and dreamed of?” It took time to get to a better place relationally, but each of them started by taking small steps. They have learned to say, “We’re not where we want to be, but we’re not where we used to be.” Over the years, they’ve become better students of marriage – reading books and getting to know other couples who are willing to share their stories too.
Do you feel like you are constantly fighting with your spouse? Do you feel like your marriage isn’t where you want it to be? I hope this podcast challenges you and your spouse to fight for each other instead of against each other. I hope you find practical tools to make moving forward a reality in your own life. And of course we talk about sex. You can’t talk about marriage without talking about sex and what role it plays.
Listen to this encouraging episode about marriage and pick up a copy of Clayton and Ashlee’s book Hope for your Marriage. Link is below under resources!
Highlight from Today’s Episode:
- How to prepare for your wedding AND the marriage that follows.
- What it takes to get out of a valley in marriage.
- Three questions you can ask that will help you reorient your mind and heart toward your spouse.
- What to do if your spouse isn’t willing to do the work.
- The importance of communication in a marriage
Resources From Today’s Show
- Read Clayton and Ashlee’s book Hope for Your Marriage
- Dig deeper into how to love your spouse by reading The 5 Love Languages by Gary Chapman
- Check out my Dad’s book Kingdom Marriage for even more encouragement.
==> Click to Tweet
- I can’t fix him but I can let the Lord fix me. – Chrystal Evans Hurst
- Our security comes from Jesus. -Ashlee Hurst
- We aren’t where we want to be, but we’re not where we used to be. -Clayton Hurst
- I’m going to choose to honor my husband in all I do. – Ashlee Hurst
- Satan will do anything he can to get you in the bed before marriage. He will also do anything he can to keep you out of the bed after marriage.
- If you aren’t talking about your sex life, you probably don’t have a very good sex life.
- Don’t fight against each other. Fight for each other.
==> General Links
- Did you miss my last “Ask Me Anything” podcast or my interview with Jamie Ivey? Be sure and listen!
- Want to subscribe to the blog and grab a freebie? CLICK HERE
- Grab my latest book, She’s Still There!
- Kingdom Woman by Chrystal Evans Hurst and Tony Evans
After you’ve listened to the podcast, I’d love to continue the conversation. Be sure and leave a comment!
- Do you speak life over your marriage? What can you do today to start doing this?
- Have you been fighting for or against your marriage? How were you encouraged to fight differently after listening to today’s podcast?
- Do you have a marriage story that would encourage someone else? Have you seen victory in your marriage after a difficult season? Share your story here! There are women who need to hear about how you have made it through!
Connect with me…
How to Listen to The Podcast
If you’re new to podcasts, think of them like little radio shows that you can listen to at your convenience. They are perfect to listen to and learn from as you workout, fold laundry, wash dishes or conquer the world.
1. Listen right here on the blog. Click the little play button at the beginning of this post.
2. Listen on iTunes or Stitcher or Google Play! – Be sure and subscribe so you don’t miss an episode! Also, if you would be so kind as to leave a rating on iTunes and/or write a 2-3 sentence review there or on Stitcher? Your commentary or rating helps make the podcast more “findable” by others who might not know it exists!
3. Share today’s show – Email the link to a friend or share on social media. Just click on the sharing buttons at the bottom of this post!
You have been so great to join me on the journey here on the blog, I hope you jump right in and do the same on the podcast!